Michelle's Guinea Pig Information
General guinea pig information:
- Scientific name: Cavia porcellus
- Average life span: 5 - 8 yrs
- Average adult weight: 2-3 lbs
- Ideal temperature range: 65 - 75 degrees F
Guinea pigs cannot make their own vitamin C, so it
must be added to their diet.
Sources of vitamin C include:
- green pepper
- citrus fruit (oranges and lemons)
- collard greens
- romaine lettuce
When you start feeding your guinea pig a certain brand of
food, do NOT change it. They may stop eating!
I had this happen once with 2 of my guinea pigs. I had to take them to the vet and they
were put on antibiotics.
I had to feed them by hand for awhile.
- Cedar shavings - Not good for guinea pigs as it can cause
- Pine shavings - Not expensive. There is some debate
as to whether
it can cause respiratory problems. Safe for most pigs though.
- Corn cob bedding - This is hard for the pigs to stand up
and beg on!
And it gets stuck in the perianal sac of one of my males.
- This is very absorbent.
- Females should not be bred before they are 4 months old.
- If they have not been bred by the time they are 1 year
they should not be bred at all.
Their pelvic bones fuse together, which can result in the death
of the babies and the mother.
- Litter size: 1 - 6 pups
- Gestation (length of pregnancy): 63 - 68 days
Need a translation of this page? Try
Translations courtesy of AltaVista
Michelle's Guinea Pig Page Copyright © 1997